In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, SI Swimsuit talked to Nicole Berrie, founder of Bonberi and Bonberi Mart, a plant-based convenience store in New York City, to get the lowdown on a green smoothie that’s a huge hit with her community. “Plant-based living is not only super important for my health and well-being but also for the well-being of the planet,” says Berrie. “I have this smoothie every day after my workout. It’s full of whole-food electrolytes and enzymes to help digest the meals ahead. It’s like kryptonite for any acidity you may encounter later in the day -- think better digestion, less bloating, more energy and super glowy skin.” What's not to love?
Bonberi Green Smoothie Recipe
Makes 32 ounces / serves 2-4
- 1 cup of chopped very ripe bananas frozen (if you don't have frozen, can use fresh and add ice)
- Few leaves of chopped romaine
- 1 firmly packed cup of baby spinach
- 2 cups of raw Harmless Harvest coconut water (ideally non-pasteurized coconut water or filtered water works great!)
- 1 fuji apple, cored, not peeled
- 1 Bosc Pear, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves (basil or cilantro works too!)
Blend on high until creamy consistency. Enjoy right away!