The year 2020 marks the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage and SI Swimsuit is celebrating this major milestone by partnering with I Am A Voter to encourage women to exercise their right to vote. Today is National Voter Registration Day, a celebration of democracy that ensures that all potential voters have the opportunity to vote by creating awareness of voter registration opportunities. Here are five reasons to make your vote count this year (and always):
- The turnout for the 2016 presidential election was only 61%.
- The U.S ranked 26th out of 32 developed countries in its percentage of eligible voters who actually turned up to vote.
- Millennials (age 24-39) and Gen Z (age 18-23) make up 37% of eligible voters.
- There are more women serving in Congress than ever before--out of 535 members, 131 are women.
- In addition to the positions of President and Vice President on the election ballot, we’re also voting on 35 Senate seats, 435 House seats, 11 Governor seats, 10 Attorneys General, seven secretary of state seats and 280 state supreme and appellate court seats.
More from SwimLife
So what can you do right now to prep for November 3? Today, text VOTER to 26797 to make sure you are registered to vote and to receive all important election information. If you are already registered, text VOTER to 26797 to find out if you are eligible to vote early or to vote by mail and request your mail-in ballot.
Follow @si_swimsuit on Instagram for key updates and the latest ways to make your voice heard this election season!