This past January, the SI Swimsuit crew headed to the British Virgin Islands for some sun and a quintessential SI beach photo shoot. We stayed at the luxurious Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina and had some insane Caribbean cuisine. When we asked our friends at Scrub Island for their most popular recipes, they sent us this incredible banana bread recipe. Banana Bread has been the hit of quarantine and if your baking attempts have turned out less than perfect, give this variation a go!
Ingredients (makes one loaf):
• 2-3 very ripe bananas peeled
• 1/3 cup melted butter
• 1 cup of sugar (1/2 cup if you want it less sweet)
• 1 egg beaten
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• Pinch of salt
• 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• Dash of ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and butter a 4x8-inch loaf pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork until smooth. Stir the melted butter into the mashed bananas.
3. Mix in the baking soda, salt, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon. Stir in the sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Mix in the flour.
4. Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes (check at 50 minutes) at 350°F (175°C), or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a rack. Remove the banana bread from the pan. Slice and serve!
Note: Egg must be at room temperature.